POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid field : Re: Asteroid field Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid field
From: Johannes Dahlstrom
Date: 25 Jan 2003 17:25:37
Message: <3e330ee1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

> Anyway, the reason for my post is I want to know if this looks right to
> you. Does it look like an asteroid field? Is it realistic or movie-style?
> (I'm not sure how real ones compare to the ones I've seen in Star Wars!)
> Does nasa have any photos? I couldn't find any good reference.

Very nice, but I'm not so sure about the colors, perhaps they should be
grayer? Also, I think that "in a real thing" the size distribution would be
something like "inverse-exponential" ie. there are much much more small
rocks than big ones. About realism, this is obviously movie-style. Real
asteroid fiels (well, the one around Sol anyway ;) are actually very
boring. Ours is so sparse that chances of seeing, much less hitting, an
asteroid during a voyage through the belt are very slim. Probably nothing
worth seeing comes even within 10 000 kms distance of the spacecraft.